Friday, July 29, 2011

Hakim Drops the Ball Rises

'The Dark Knight Rises' trailer was supposed to be up top, but I couldn't find a video to embed. There was supposed to be a theme here. Plus, Gary Oldman's wheezing line delivery is the best. "He...must... ... RISE!" But alas, no video.

I have not posted since the middle of February. Sorry about that. I know Ralph got shit from some people because he only wrote a few columns for WWLTV.com since February. Grandmaster Wang managed to write about ten pieces between the end of the Saints' season and present day.

So why nothing from me? Oh, I'd like to tell you it was because I couldn't find anything inspiring to say, or I didn't feel like wading into all the lockout nonsense. Hell, I wish could say, "because I was writing the great American novel." But if I'm being straightforward with you and honest with myself, the real answer is even simpler: laziness.

True, I didn't want to say anything about the lockout, but I could've said something about the draft, or written about Reggie Bush, or even done one or three of those 'KSK-inspired' posts in which Thomas Morstead goes on a vacation to Comic-Con. Some ideas were there, folks. But I kept pushing things off until a later time, when I thought I could "give it my all" so-to-speak. That's a crock. With me, if I can start off by giving something, say, 70 to 80 percent of me, that's a significant accomplishment. It's why I don't cut my grass until somebody jokes about animals grazing off of it, or why I don't cut my hair until somebody says I look like the lead singer of a CCR cover band.

And the second reason I've been so lax on posting is this: contentment. I mean, we are just 18 months removed from watching the Saints win the Super Bowl. High five! (check's in the mail, Wang.) Everything I could want as a sports fan came to fruition. I honestly felt like that moment of catharsis was like that final note in 'A Day in the Life" by The Beatles. How do you top that? Short answer: you don't. And more importantly, you can't. Sure, I cheered for the Saints and wanted them to win every single game last year, and was royally pissed when they lost to the damn Seahawks in the playoffs, but it took me a long time to get over my own contentment.

I hope this note explains my absence from the conversation. I aim to be back in mid-season form by the start of the regular season. Let's do this.

No comments: