Friday, April 24, 2009

We now return to our regularly scheduled program...

I last posted on about 10 weeks ago. Not that you care, but that feels like half a lifetime. I've enjoyed the time off -- lots of reading, pretending like I'm really gonna get cracking on that novel, etc. But I digress.

For your listening pleasure:



With the draft coming up tomorrow, I just wanted to commit my opinion to the ether. Are you ready for it? Are you sure? Huh? I'll bet you been waiting a long, looong time for this, haven't you? Yeah, you been wanting it, I know. Begging for it, I bet, hmm?

Ah, fuck it, here goes: TRADE. THE. FUCK. DOWN.

The team has just four picks (a first rounder, two fourths and a seventh, if I remember my Jeff Duncan updates correctly, meaning the franchise has little room for error here. Even though the front office has been quite adroit at acquiring quality from the fifth round and on (e.g. Marques Colston, Zach Strief and Carl Nicks), we need as many bodies as possible to fill defensive gaps.

So let me go on record as saying that if the Saints don't trade that pick away and opt to select Beanie Wells or some other offensive weapon we don't need this early, I am going to go to my pantry, grab a paper bag, take it into the bathroom, shit in it, staple it shut, go down to the FedEx store and put it in one of their overnight shipments, and mail it to Saints HQ on Airline Highway.

I don't care what Mel Kiper, Todd McShay, or even my beloved compadre the 'Ralpha Dog' thinks about this -- I cannot be shaken from my position that drafting a running back in the first round would be a waste.

The Saints already had the best offense in the league. Obviously there's nowhere else to go but down. No, I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but if Drew Brees remains upright and the receivers can catch the ball, this offense will not slip by much. Adding another high-priced running back, albeit one with a foot injury on the docket, to the fold does not shore up the team's ability to successfully operate the Cover 2 or whatever the fuck scheme Gregg Williams is going to install for the defense.

This team has serious needs on defense: corner, safety, linebacker and run blocker (in no particular order). I'm crazy to think the Saints will use all their picks on defense. I just want this year's draft to focus on the defensive side of the ball.

However, I do agree with Ralph on one big thing: why would you take Malcolm Jenkins as a safety if he's supposed to be a corner, but isn't good enough to play that position? Another reason why the team should try and trade down.

With that said, here are my draft notes from my 'Guy Who Knows A Guy':

1. The Saints are high on Ole Miss defensive tackle Peria Jerry. However, it seems that the discussion keeps falling back between taking either Jenkins, Beanie Wells and Knowshawn Moreno. (Ed. note - TRADE THE FUCK DOWN!)

2. The Saints have scouted so many linebackers recently, they believe there is enough depth at the position and can afford to take one in the later rounds.

3. Team likes QB Drew Willy out of the University of Buffalo. They're hoping he goes to the free agent market. If he's still available in round six and they think somebody might take him, Sean Payton may get on the phone.

4. Payton, GM Mickey Loomis, DC Gregg Williams and the director of college scouting Rick Reiprish are examining ways to get an extra pick or two for the weekend. (Ed. note - THANK CHRIST!)

5. Rumor floating around that Jammal Brown could be on the "under the radar trade market." Also, other teams have asked about Darren Sharper, Charles Grant and Devery Henderson for possible draft weekend trades.

No comments: